Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hello... :)


My name is Arpine Barseghyan and I’m a senior at CSUN. Welcome to my blog! I am an English Literature major and have just begun student teaching at Northridge Academy High School as part of my credential program, which is remarkably fascinating on multiple levels. Although I am not a huge fan of social networking sites and choose to live without them, I find blogs a wonderful medium of expression and an effective tool in the classroom. Media technology is simply an inevitable reality in today’s classroom and should be employed in the world of teaching, especially in secondary education. Technology is an integral part of students’ lives, thus linking the methods of communication and information access they are used to with critical applications will create an engaging and relevant connection with content material and better prepare them for higher education and beyond. I have found classroom discussion boards extremely effective for creating dialogue around a common topic and exchanging new ideas and would love to have a class website in my future classroom, where literature can be discussed and new interpretations can be formulated. Whether it be through Moodle or a school website, adding an online component to the classroom norm allows for each student to work at their own pace and also have the opportunity to communicate with peers. I have always enjoyed my online class experiences (ok, well not always, but that had nothing to do with the class format), and I look forward to more positive experiences in the future! 



arpine.barseghyan.58@my.csun.edu

3 comments:

  1. Hi Arpine!

    I would have to agree, student teaching is remarkable in many different ways! I really have to agree with you also about what you said about media technology. Allowing students to post things on Moodle or other similar sites, such as this blog, really does give students an opportunity to work at their own pace and time. We all have different schedules to live by so having this opportunity can really be helpful. Hopefully, we'll be able to provide our future students with this type of medium as well.

    See you soon!!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always LOVED online classes. It's just so simple to work through them on your own terms! I think that it's important to understand the technology around us because we can interact with a vastly increased number of people. That's also why it's important to be careful about the information that we allow into the world of the internet. As teachers (or soon-to-be teachers) it's important for us to gain knowledge about what's out there so that we can meet our students halfway and give them the information that they need to be continual learners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arpine! I do agree with you that today media technology is an inevitable in educational reality. I am totally for it when using technology facilitates the educational process. For instance, using email to stay in touch with professors or other students makes communication way faster and/ or more efficient. The same is with providing the students with the access to such digital databases as JSTOR since they allow you to retrieve all the necessary and current information through electronic search engines that save you much more time than old-school trekking to the library stacks. Finally, incorporating Power Point Presentations during lectures is a useful tool to deliver information to students. However, I still do not know what to make of blogs or posting stuff on web-sites as part of the education process. It takes time to create and maintain a blog or a web site, but I do not see much value in it. I think students spend the time allotted to their homework with better efficiency when they read, research, or practice their coursework material because it is more difficult but eventually more fruitful than posting stuff online. To my mind, blogging is much easier and less productive, as far as gaining and solidifying knowledge is concerned, than working on a research paper or reading and analyzing what you read. Those people who love posting stuff online can do it on their own, but why waste your homework time for something that does not teach you as efficiently as traditional formats of learning? You know, I hate being conservative and not progressive, but even more than that I hate being inefficient, and that’s where my reservations about implementing of certain kinds of media technology, such as blogs, are coming from. Wow it feels like my post came out a bit like a tirade, I'd better go have some tea:)

    See you tomorrow! Have a nice rest of today!

    ReplyDelete